Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Changing White Bread

I'm working on this, so far I haven't been able to make a decient loaf of plain white bread. My french bread is fine but not this one yet. I will get it sooner or later though. So here's my base as of this moment, I took it off another recipe and I am not sure I will make it this way again but it's a start.

Makes 3 loaves of white bread.

About 11 cups flour
1.5 Tbl sugar
2 Tbl yeast
1 Tbl salt
4.5 cups very warm water
1/2 cup softened butter

Combine half the flour with everything else. Beat at high speed for 3 minutes. Add flour a cup at a time till not too sticky. Knead for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic, adding a little more flour as necessary.

Place dough in a large buttered bowl, turning to butter top. Cover with a clean towel or buttered lid (don't seal it) and let rise for about 1 hour in a warm place, free of drafts. Punch dough down. Separate into three balls. Roll into loafs. Raise double in size. Bake 350 for 40 min.

1 comment:

Amy said...

yikes!! The bright green hurts my eyes.