Friday, April 11, 2008

Cinnamon/Orange Rolls and Frosting


This is an enormous batch of sweet rolls. It will make about 2 and a half large bar pans (cookie sheets), or a little more then 2 dozen cinnamon rolls. You can half it but I never do. I figure, if I am going to take the time to make these with my kids we may as well make a ton of them. This is a great one to do with the kids because after the dough is made you can split it and let each of the kids make some their very own.

3 1/2 c warm water
3/4 c sugar
1 c oil
2 Tb yeast

Mix and let stand 15 min

Add:
1 TB salt
3 eggs
10 1/2 c flour

Mix well, knead. Roll out immediately to 1/2 inch thick rectangle.

Cinnamon Rolls:
Spread 1/2-3/4 c melted butter, sprinkle brown sugar, Cinnamon and raisin. Roll up starting at the long side, and cut into 2 inch rolls. Put on greased pan. Let raise to double in size and bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned. When slightly cooled (warm not hot), frost.

Variation: Put anything you want inside, we tried it with chocolate chips and marshmallows and my kids loved it. Personally they were way to sweet for me, I like them plain without the raisins.


Orange Rolls:
Spread with mixture of 1/3 c melted butter, 1/2 c white sugar, and grated rind from one orange. Roll, cut, raise, cook and frost like cinnamon rolls.



Frosting: 1/3 c butter softened, 1 pound powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, add milk to a medium thick glaze.

4 comments:

Lady Carolyn said...

I think I just dreuled on my laptop. Mmmm... orange rolls......

April said...

I just found your blog. I am so excited to get your cinnamon/orange roll recipe. These were so great that Friday night! Now the trick is making them as good as you!
This is such a good site. I hope you don't mind me viewing your blog, I don't want you to think I am a blog stalker. :)

April (Debra's friend)

Brittney said...

lol, That's great that you are on it. If you want to give me your email address I can add you to the list so you can post stuff too. The more the merrier.

Joey C Johnson said...

Just found your blog via Cody and Casey (by bro in laws). I'm always struggling to come up with new meal ideas, it's always the same meals over and over. Then I come across your cinnamon rolls and my saliva tells me cinnamon rolls sound great for dinner LOL But really I think I'm going to try out your recipe, even though I'm so not a baker.