Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Creole Red Beans and Rice

Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
Yield: 8 servings

Put rice on if you don't have some already made. I use rice a lot in our meals so I make all the rice I am going to use for the week the first time I need it. Then it just takes a few minutes to heat it up instead of getting to the end of my cooking and realizing I should have put the rice on because now if I put it one it will be done after everyone is finished eating.

3 Tbl olive oil
1 lg onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c chopped bell pepper
1 stalk celery, with leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbl chili powder
1/2 tsp thyme
two 15 oz cans red kidney beans rinsed and drained (about 3 cups)
4 1/2 c cooked rice

In large skillet, heat the olive oil. Cook the onions, garlic, pepper and celery in the oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the salt, cumin, chili powder, and thyme and stir to combine.

Add the beans and mix well. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for several minutes until the beans are hot, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.

Add the rice to the bean mixture and mix all the ingredients together well. Cook for about 5 min to heat the rice through before serving.

No comments: